July 28, 2010

Amusement Park-Proof Beauty, plus Jason Mraz concert news!

Hello, Beautiful!

Are you an amusement park fan like I am? I'm a thrill junkie and roller coaster fanatic. So of course that means we have season passes to our local amusement park (although it's not really local, it still takes about 2 hours to get there). We go to Kings Dominion at least once a week, but usually twice a week. My husband doesn't always go with us, but you can normally find me and my son there (in the kiddie section).

Over the past two summers I've been experimenting with various beauty routines to see which will stand the test of heat, sweat, roller coasters and water rides. I've finally found the holy grail of amusement park-proof beauty!

First, it's no secret I have bad skin with lots of flaws to cover up (although my skin care routine is really, really helping that). And I sweat a lot at amusement parks - especially this summer, as it's been between 90 and 100 degrees most days (some even over 100 degrees).

A lot of foundations melt off quickly and don't look natural in sun light. It would be ideal to just go without foundation to the amusement park, but with my skin issues going bare faced isn't an option.

I've tried many foundations, primers, concealers and setting powders - all in the hopes something will stick around for more than 2 or 3 hours. I've found the secret combination of products!

Here's the routine:

FACE:

After I moisturize my skin I allow it to dry for at least 5 minutes. I want everything to dry/set fully - this is key! You don't want anything to not fully absorbed into your skin, which could cause products to slip down your face later on.

Then I apply a primer and allow that to dry for 5 to 10 minutes (I usually go do my hair or something while I'm waiting for it to dry/set completely). Ideally I wait 10 minutes because I just want it to be sure, but I certainly don't always wait that long.

Next I apply concealer. I use Make Up For Ever's Full Cover Concealer (I use shades 6 and 8). This is my holy grail of concealers to begin with. It is water proof/water resistant. I apply this to all the major flaws - like acne scars, any new blemishes, under eye circles and my eye lids (since they are rather dark without anything on them). I don't worry about applying concealer to areas that can be evened out with foundation - like redness and slight skin discoloration. I allow my concealer to dry completely - usually 2 to 3 minutes, but again, sometimes I wait 5 minutes just to be sure.

Then it's time for foundation. I apply Make Up For Ever's Face & Body Liquid Makeup (I use the Honey Beige shade). It provides very sheer coverage, but it's enough to even out skintone. Plus, it looks so natural that it's like putting your own skin on your skin. It's virtually undetectable on the face - even in sun light. I apply this with my stippling brush. I stipple it on to get the maximum coverage and so I don't just wipe away all that concealer I spent time applying.

Now here's where a problem may come into play. Because the foundation is a water based gel foundation I find it can wipe off your concealer. That's why I stipple it onto my skin. However, you can apply the foundation first and apply concealer second if you don't want to stipple on the foundation. You can apply this foundation with your fingers, a sponge, or regular foundation brush - all with great results.

Don't expect this foundation to cover anything. It will just even out your skintone. The full coverage concealer will take care of the rest. Sometimes I still need to apply a little more concealer after I apply my foundation, but not always.

Next I allow my foundation to set for a minute or two, just so it can dry on my face. While I'm waiting for that to dry I will apply my brow powder (because my brows are very sparse in some areas). I use Smashbox Brow Tech (I use the Brunette shade). I don't normally use the wax though and the powder will last me most of the day, and usually it lasts the entire day at the amusement park.

Then it's time for setting powder. This is a key step!!! I use Dermablend's Setting Powder (in Original, which is colorless). I apply this with a fluffy brush all over my face. I pat it on generously. Basically your face will look like you had white flour throw on your face. That's how you want to look. Leave it like that for 2 minutes, then brush off the excess powder with a fluffy brush in light sweeps. The powder will set your makeup and make it last all day. Seriously, sometimes I have trouble getting off my makeup at the end of the day when I use that powder!

Next up is eyes. My eye shadow ALWAYS stays on because I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I fell in love with that product last summer when I put it to the amusement park test. My eye makeup was still on at the end of a long day (7am till midnight) and I was so tired I fell asleep with my makeup on, woke up, and my eye makeup was STILL on! So this is a very easy way to make your eye makeup last all day.

I don't overly make up my eyes for an amusement park, but I don't like to go bare eyes either. I stick to one shade usually - something lighter and shimmery. Yesterday I used my Smashbox Classifeyed Eye Shadow Palette and used shades 1 and 4 mixed together all over my lid. Then I used shade 3 for the outter corner and crease.

I lined my eyes with Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes eyeliner pencil (the black one) on my top lid only. Then applied Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash to my top and bottom lashes. I did use Smashbox Jet Set Liner to line my waterline, but had to re-apply that a few times throughout the day.

For lips I just stick to a simple gloss. Yesterday I used NARS Lip Gloss in Chihuahua.


I only touched up my face (concealer) once, and that was around dinner time (and after going on a water ride and getting soaked). But even then I really didn't need a touch up, I just expected to touch up so I did it anyway. But that was the last I had to touch up my face!

Throughout the day I do bring a "sweat rag", which is just a t-shirt or a wash cloth. I use that to pat my face if I start to sweat (don't rub the sweat away, that could disturb makeup). And I swear to you, my makeup lasts and lasts and lasts!


I hope I was able to help any of you that go to amusement parks but suffer the same beauty issues as myself (sweating, melting makeup, makeup that doesn't last). Try this routine and you'll be happy you did!


Also, on a side note, I am beyond excited because I was able to finally get Jason Mraz tickets. He's my favorite singer and I've been obsessed with him for years. When I first heard "Geek in the Pink" I fell in love, and ever since I've been a big fan. I will be going to the concert in Delaware on September 28th and it cannot come fast enough! Plus, I scored seats 5 rows back from the stage! Wooooooo hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Any other Jason Mraz fans out there that are also beauty obsessed like me? Will you be going to the concert too??


xoxo with love & beauty,

Crystal Valentine B.
- The woman who runs ValentineKisses.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)