May 27, 2011

Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Mascara

Hello, Beautiful!

The Week of Make Up For Ever is almost over and concluding all the eye products that I own by Make Up For Ever I bring you Make Up For Ever's Smoky Lash Mascara!

I fell in love with this mascara the moment I tried it. Before using Smoky Lash I had been using Dior's DiorShow Mascara, which I thought was the only mascara I'd ever need. I gave up DiorShow Mascara (although that's still a great mascara) and switched to Smoky Lash. The reason: Smoky Lash made DiorShow look like an everyday, basic mascara (and DiorShow is supposed to be a va-va-voom mascara). Smoky Lash was my new go-to choice for when I wanted dramatic lashes and DiorShow was now my "natural look" mascara.

My lashes are naturally long, and I have decent fullness to them, so a mascara has to really be something special to make my lashes have that va-va-voom effect that I love. Smoky Lash did that for me without clumps and had great deep black color.

Onto some pics... (sorry, I forgot to take a swatch photo of the mascara on my hand and by itself; and I don't have the time to go back and do that, but in the future I'll add it)


Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Mascara
Shade Description: A rich black





Before & Afters:
Just one coat used for each before & after shot. Click on the picture to see it larger.



Basic stats for Make Up For Ever's Smoky Lash:
Formula: mascara... I guess I never really thought about the formula mascara is; I guess it's a cream? I really don't know. Just mascara! :)
Coverage: full coverage
Wear: for me this lasts all day without flaking or smudging
Shade Range: only available in Rich Black (only the original version) and Extra Black (only the Aqua version)
Container Type: your standard mascara tube with mascara wand; see pics for wand details.
Cost: $22 for 0.23 oz size - or pick up the Smoky Lash Kit for the same price; Smoky Lash Kit also available in the waterproof formula.
Availability: Found only at Sephora and Sephora.com
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses!


Formula:
A highly-pigmented mascara that gives you curl, volume and length. The mascara starts off clump-free, but the closer you get to the replacement mark (about 3 months) the more clumps I encounter. The clumps I do encounter are not bad at all; all the clumps can easily be brushed out with the mascara wand or with a lash comb. Non-waterproof version and a waterproof version is available.

Coverage:
I would say this is full coverage. I guess coverage really isn't an issue; I think all mascaras are full coverage (except for mascaras designed to tint your lashes - like blue and purple). It gives you nice rich color.

Wear:
I don't have any problems with wear, but not everyone can say the same. For me, this mascara lasts all day without smudging or flaking. I hear those that use the waterproof version have more flaking issues, but that's pretty typical with waterproof mascara formulas. I don't like waterproof versions, and I don't have any problems with my mascara running. I wear this to the amusement park and never need to touch-up my mascara, even after a water ride.

Shade Range:
This mascara is only available in Rich Black (for the original version) and Extra Black (for the Aqua - waterproof - version). To be honest, I think a rich black is the only shade you need if you do want va-va-voom lashes, so I don't miss other shade options. Honestly I don't ever use any other shade except black, but then again I do have darker features (dark eyes/hair) so wearing a brown mascara isn't the most flattering; it actually looks weird on me.

Container Type:
This mascara brush is nice; not huge (like DiorShow) but still does an amazing job at coating every lash.

Cost:
For $22 this mascara is worth it to me. Your lashes will thank you as they flirt with everyone they see (okay, that was kind of a lame remark to make, but hey, it's true). I do replace my mascara every 3 months (every 4 to 6 months if I barely use it), so it is on the pricier side for needing to replace it that frequently. It certainly would be cheaper to buy a drugstore brand mascara, but I just don't get the same results. Like I mentioned, my lashes are already pretty good on their own and not many mascaras impress me. This is a mascara that impresses me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)