September 9, 2014

Old Wives Tail - Coco Loco Organic Coconut Oil Hair Mask: pics, review

Hello, Beautiful!

I was contacted by Old Wives Tail and asked if I'd like to try a sample of her hair oil. I said of course, because it looked like a great product and I love trying hair treatments. I was so excited to try this, but even more excited by the results! Now I do want to point out you're going to see two sets of photos in this blog post... because I was stupid and didn't realize this is a solid product and not a straight oil. It arrived as an oil, because it will melt if it's not kept in a cool, dark, dry place. So after a week of using it, I looked down (it was on my floor by my desk) and saw it was solid. I was like "oooooooh" and re-photographed it all. So that's why there are two sets of photos. Check out all the product info, along with my full review, after the pics!

Old Wives Tail
Coco Loco Organic Coconut Oil Hair Mask








And now the pics of the product melted....








Old Wives Tail Coco Loco Organic Coconut Oil Hair Mask Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $24.87 (at time the time I wrote this post, it was on sale for $16.57) (150 ml full size). Available on the Old Wives Tail website.
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses!

Product Info...

We all know how amazing organic coconut oil is for our hair and at Old Wives Tail they have gone absolutely coconut crazy! They hand picked the best oils and essential oils and lovingly whipped them up with pure virgin coconut oil to create a mask that is bursting with natural proteins and has a mouth-watering tropical, zesty scent.

Just one scoop will add lustre, strength and shine to any hair type. When massaged into your scalp, Coco-Loco will stimulate each and every hair follicle and promote healthy hair growth. Its natural antibacterial properties and nutrients get to work at calming and soothing any dry or flaky areas of your scalp. What's more is when this mask is used over a period of time it can aid in protecting the natural color pigmentation of your hair and prevent early greys from sprouting!

Made with certified organic ingredients only. Paraben-free. Sulfate-free. Gluten-free. Vegan & vegetarian. No animal testing.


My Review...

I'll be honest and say I really was confused by the packaging; a tub like container for a hair oil? I could see if this was a thicker, cream like product but this is a liquid, an oil. It didn't make much sense to me. Well guess what? It was MELTED and this is actually a solid product! Now the jar makes more sense. I guess the warm weather really got to this during shipping and it had completely turned to a liquid -- which you can see in the product pictures I took right after I opened it.

Even a few days later it was still an oil, liquid state. It was only about a week or two later that I looked down and saw it was a solid. Weird, but the packaging now makes a lot more sense. So if you do order this during warmer months and find it has arrived in a complete liquefied state, no worries; it will return to a solid in no time. Their recommendation to store in a cool, dry, dark place should be followed.

I re-photographed this after it had returned to a solid, but I had already used it twice by that point in time. Even in its solid state this mask quickly melts into an oil. Easy to apply and easy for your hair to soak up.

Now the directions do say to put it on and wrap your hair with a warm towel and leave it on for an hour, but I'll be honest and say that I don't have time for an hour long hair treatment like that all the time, so I tried two quicker methods and had great results with both.

The first time I used this I just applied from mid-shaft to ends and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes, then I jumped in the shower and washed it out. My hair was so soft, shiny and manageable afterwards. I loved the way it looked and felt! Very smooth and silky!

The next test was to apply and then use my blow dryer on my hair for about 2 to 5 minutes, then let it sit for another 5 to 10 minutes. That yielded about the exact same results as the first test.

I then tried it exactly as they direct, with the warm towel and leaving it on for an hour. I think that method does give a slightly deeper treatment, but there is no reason you can't do a quicker treatment with this same product.

One thing I do want to point out is the scent can be a bit over whelming. It smells good but the one day it really was overwhelming to me and I couldn't handle the scent. It's a mix of a mint and a coconut, which kind of smell like a coconut candy bar, but it can be intense. I like the scent though, normally. Just that one day my nose couldn't handle it.

Overall, I really liked the way this mask worked. Thought it did really amazing things for my hair that other masks couldn't do. I don't like to use it if I plan to curl my hair though, as I have very fine, long hair and this mask hydrates maybe too much to allow my hair to then hold a curl, but I love it if I plan to leave my hair straight. Don't get me wrong, I can still curl my hair on days I have used this but I find that my curls fall a bit faster due to how hydrated and smooth my hair is.

They do offer other hair masks, so if you're not into a coconut mint scent, or your hair has other needs, click here to see the range of other masks they offer.

Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this hair mask? Have you tried this or is this on your beauty wish list? Discuss in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)